Question: How do I keep going long after my initial enthusiasm has gone?
We’ve all been there, full of good intentions on our healthy living, exercising and diet campaigns – then what happens?
What is the difference between those who are successful in their efforts and those who are not?
Is it just discipline and determination, or is there something else?
Whilst discipline and determination does have its place, so does a supportive positive ‘MINDSET’,
which is the preparedness for embarking upon our campaign with a strong enough reason to lead to our successful outcome. The following are some useful tips:
STRATEGIES FOR CREATING THE RIGHT MINDSET
- DISCIPLINE The first and most important thing to remember is that embarking on your health campaign is not a ‘sprint’ it is a ‘marathon’ and you need to pace your effort
- PLAN Decide specifically what it is you want to achieve and create some good robust objectives so you “Start With The End In Mind” Stephen Covey. By setting ‘compelling’ goals we maintain and strengthen connection of the positive brain cells and its release of feel good chemicals into our bodies that boost our motivation and command our subconscious to move us towards our desires.
These must be:
- Specific, set down on paper in detail what it is that you want to achieve
- Measurable, what is your target weight and if it is not weight what other measurable is there BMI, body measurements?
- Achievable, if it seems to be a task too big, break it down into a smaller tasks, remember it is hard to eat an apple by putting it all into your mouth at the same time, we need to break it into bite sized bits!
- Relevant, how important is the achievement of your health goals to your overall life? To who you want to be, want to do or want to have?
- Timescale, a timescale focusses your unconscious mind and gets it to work for you! adding ENERGY to your MINDSET – by when do you want to achieve?
what will you look like when you have achieved your objectives?
what will you feel like when you have achieved your objectives?
what will you say or hear when you have achieved your objectives?
The stronger you can create an image in your mind of what it is going to be like for you when you have achieved, the more power you will give to your desire. Strengthen your compelling goals and give them even more power by:
share your Plan and Objectives, you don’t have to do it all alone – enlist your support team which may be your trainer, friends, family or a health buddy
did you know it takes 21 days to create new patterns of thinking and behaving in our brains? do something for 21 days deliberately to start setting in place good patterns for your health.
find some treats (healthy ones) and reward yourself along the way
spend time thinking in the present and congratulating yourself for what you have achieved no matter how small and feel good about it; visualise what you are working towards often and see yourself succeeding, feel good about your success and bathe in the wonderful comments you know you will be receiving – really juice up your good feelings of achievement.
Remember that a healthy living lifestyle is part of your life and don’t let your total focus be on this.
how are you doing against your Plan Objectives? revisit your plan, talk to your support team, reward yourself,
ACT AS IF
act as if you have already achieved what it is you have set out to achieve, live it, breath it and enjoy the journey
“The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step” Lao Tzu – Philosopher, Ancient China
Wellness and Life Coach
Pinch an Inch